Is there really any question Duchene cannot return for the Avs this year?

Discussion in 'NHL Transactions & Rumors' started by Ron Flextall, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Ron Flextall

Ron Flextall Rookie

I realize Sakic is saying maybe they'll just bring Duchene back, but I don't see how it can work.....

1) The Avs were historically bad last year, like brutal
    2) They made very few ground breaking moves to get better today
    3) Yes they drafted Makar, but that's a long term solution

On the Duchene front...

1) It looked like the trade rumors REALLY got to him and ruined his game
    2) Another slow start and now he's not worth nearly what you thought he was worth, in fact, he's a problem to move

I just don't see how this game of poker is good for either Duchene or the Avs. There are likely teams out there that would do a deal and while you aren't possibly getting EVERYTHING you want, I would still expect someone would be willing to part with a 1st, a nearly ready prospect D and a filler forward with some salary and term left on their deal.

James likes this.
  2. Z32

Z32 Denver Wildcats || GM Staff Member

At this point, your return is greatly reduced. Sakic is awful.

3. Ron Flextall

Ron Flextall Rookie

This has been my argument all along as well. If you're going to tease Duchene as being available you have to know when the highest return is out there and take it, because you ruined his year last year and are set to do it again, by having him return to the same exact team and under the same cloud of rumors, which he clearly didn't handle well.

As a Flyers fan, I'd love to see them offer something like Morin, 1 of their 1sts in 2018 (they have 2) and say Lehtera, as a starter and see if something could be worked out. I don't see that happening, but honestly, I also don't know if I see Sakic surviving this season either.

4. Z32

imagine wanting "much more" than that.

How do you not immediately jump on that trade?

5. Ron Flextall

Ron Flextall Rookie

There are a lot of things I don't understand when it comes to the NHL these days. I've heard rumors of all sorts of offers, some similar to this and yet, no deal was made. Consider as well that Philly pulled the trigger on trading Schenn for Pick 27, 2018 1st (that's top 10 protected, allowing STL to push it to 2019 at the cost of another 3rd in 2019) and Lehtera. Does Colorado really think Duchene is worth substantially more than Schenn was in trade?

I just can't see Sakic being around much longer. How do you take, by far, the worst team in the NHL and add virtually nothing, loose Pickard and call it an offseason?

6. Z32

well lehtera is bad, so it's not my favourite comparison. But yeah.

7. Ron Flextall

Ron Flextall Rookie

Lehtera is hot garbage, but I don't think the Avs are going to get a deal for Duchene where they're not taking on some cap $. You'd ideally like those to be cap $ that make some sort of positive impact, but it wouldn't shock me if, in the end, they have a guy like that in the offer they finally accept

8. James

James Minor Leaguer

Agreed.This is starting to be a joke just like the whole franchise,He must be traded and Sakic must lose his job..

9. Fryytzz

Fryytzz Role Player

Wait the Islanders actually offered Hamonic, a first round pick and a prospect for Duchene?

1.) Garth Snow is stupid for offering that much
    2.) Sakic must be Braindead without lifesupport not to take it....

Normn and cinnamon like this.
  10. Z32

Yes and Yes.

Although we knew Snow was dumb for a while. Albeit, the Eberle trade was nice.

Paying a bajillion dollars for the 4th line in NY is not.

11. DevilsFan

DevilsFan Puck Theory Admin Staff Member Premium Member

It's truly incredible that the only thing that saved the Islanders from the stupidity of Garth Snow, was the stupidity of Joe Sakic. Amazing world we live in.

cinnamon likes this.
  12. Fryytzz

Fryytzz Role Player

Hire me i can't do worse than that :lol:

cinnamon likes this.
  13. Ron Flextall

Ron Flextall Rookie

And the thing is, you have to consider Sakic had Duchene's name out there alllllllllllll season and then they said "The Avs may feel there will be better offers at the draft" and then they talked for a couple more months, got to the draft, did nothing and then there were rumors "The Avs could get a better return after UFA". This is literally the type of behavior that brought to life the term "shit or get off the pot", but in this situation you CAN'T get off the pot without doing something, because your team IS shit.

14. Ron Flextall

Ron Flextall Rookie

Of course they can't afford to lose Tavares, but consider Johansen just got 8 million for 8 years. What is Tavares going to ask for? What is Snow going to do to convince him to stay? You only get 1 shot at doing this correctly and there are a lot of ways it can look real ugly if it doesn't work.

15. speels

speels Veteran

I love Joe Sakic..................as a former player, but he should have just stayed retired. :)
    I mean giving Sakic the keys to the Avalanche is like letting Michael Vick babysit your dog for the weekend. :eek:

Too soon?? :devil:

16. Score

Score Role Player

What does GM Sakic think he is helping by keeping Duchene if he gets offers like Hamonic, a 1st and a prospect?

The only thing I can think is that he feels much more strongly that the players he does have in the system are going to mature and turn the ship around pretty much by themselves so that Duchene will get to stick around for the big turn around.

Is Sakic blinded by faith in his own team as they are now?

Sure, you want to be confident in your team, but successful teams make changes to become better that are outside their immediate system.

17. Fryytzz

Fryytzz Role Player

I'd say he's going to get fired soon, but even Garth Snow still has a job :lol: