:: Meanwhile in Finland ::

Discussion in 'Season Stories' started by Mizu, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Yep, Cinny also asked that in past. :ninja:

cinnamon likes this.
  2. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

I wasn't 100% sure, but it felt like it is in your post.

3. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Regular season is coming to the end and the Hartford Wolverines still staying in the tight race for the Eastern Conference playoffs spots.

- 5 games was left and the Wolverines were 3 points behind the last wild card spot.
    - A win in the previous game and 4 games before the end it was 1 point to the wild card spot held by the Maple Leafs.
    - 3 games before the end it was 2 point difference again.
    - Sidenote: Down the road there was minor injuries here and there, including Strome's 6th or 7th injury of the season - very very rare are the games with the best lineup.
    - 2 games to go and the Wolverines were 1 point behind NYI, TB & TOR - NYI in 3rd place in the Metro Division, so getting ahead of them would mean a straight playoffs spot.

- - - - -

And next... the final game of the regular season. The fight for the last playoffs spot in the East will between Wolverines, Maple Leafs and Islanders. Wolverines are holding the upper hand by being 1 point ahead of those two. In a tiebreaker the Wolfies should be ahead of the Leafs as having more wins, while the Isles and Wolfies are currently tied in wins. In the last day of the season the games are:

NYI @ PIT - Penguins are close to clinch the 1st place in the whole league, unless they lose and Sabres wins their last game. Pens will be missing Malkin and Daley, while Isles are fully healthy.

MTL @ TOR - Canadiens are going to miss the playoffs by being 6 points behind the Leafs. MTL missing Emelin, while TOR missing Gardiner.

OTT @ HFD - Senators have already clinched the playoffs and will finish 4th or 5th in East, depending on the game and what Capitals do in theirs. Sens are missing Marks Stone & Fraser along with Kostka, while Wolfies have to play without Nash & Murphy.

4. cinnamon

cinnamon M.V.P.

#tension

5. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Want some more?

I'm currently playing that game. Sens seemed to help me some as they started Hammond instead of Anderson, and...

Wolerines took an early lead with goals by Strome and Di Giuseppe. A few minutes later Pageau added one for the Sens. Then in the final minute of the 1st Staal and Hemsky both scored making it 4-1 already. Hammond ended the period with just 1 save.

In the 2nd Zibanejad and Puempel scored withing 2 minutes and there was a game again. Z.Smith hit Jordan who still keeps playing with a mild concussion - who cares about player safety in EA hockey. :p

A minute and a half before the fulltime Clarke McArthur then tied the game, and it's heading to OT now. I suppose 1 point that I've gained means that the Leafs are eliminated now, but if this ends to a loss and Isles wins their game... Also, in 3rd Phaneuf injured Skinner, my top-2 guy, who is playing with broken arm now. :(

cinnamon likes this.
  6. cinnamon

cinnamon M.V.P.

Wow, crazy injuries. Go Wolverines Go!

7. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Will it end on OT?

No goal on OT, but on Shootout there must be a goal.

Victor Rask's goal seals the 2017 Playoffs spot for the Wolverines.

For an anticlimax... NYI & TOR lost their games, so the HFD would have clinched anyway. :p

cinnamon likes this.
  8. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

They skate much better in this game than it is in NHL 2004 (only EA hockey that I play from time to time).

9. cinnamon

cinnamon M.V.P.

Congratulations @Mizu, now I wish you a deep run.

10. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Thanks! Although not sure how deep would be the satisfactory, how deep I'd even want to go yet. Going all the way to the end would be like with that previous Seattle franchise - 2nd season, one season earlier than planned, one season too soon. :p

11. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Just added final standings and stadings to the googledocs spreadsheet. Have to wait till the AHL reg season ends until adding the full Wolverines stats too.

12. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Sooo.... Wolverines 1st round opponent will be Capitals. Heading into the series Hartford will be missing Nash & Jordan, plus Murphy from the first game. Meanwhile Washington misses Oshie & Winnik.

13. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

Maybe Wizz bought tickets again, before they even were available :eek: if yes, he will cheer against you..

14. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

But what if he'd switch to Wolverines after a few games? :eek:

15. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

He don't like losing more than anyone lol, you just need to beat these Caps and it's guaranteed he's a Wolverines' fan after this series.

Mizu likes this.
  16. dkp

dkp dick ape eh Staff Member BESLPA Rep

nice, haven't been keeping tabs on this lately, but should be a good matchup.

17. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Not sure if I'm going to keep going like this, but had to experiment with one video editor. :p
    Maybe if I'd have some better way, other than filming by had with phone, to capture videos...

Post game - HFD: Di Giuseppe out for a few days, WSH: Galiev no injury​

18. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

..but at least it's climatic ;p

btw lol @ guy with #53 - "celebration" after goal.. stupid EA haha

19. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Since it's "previous generation" it doesn't have all these new ones. :p

20. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Post game - HFD: Slavin was injured in that hit and will be out 2-4 weeks. Pesce will take his spot, while Hainsey may have played his last game, at least for the Wolverines, after those great efforts in couple of Caps goals and will be replaced by now healthy Jordan.. Although it sucks that they caused a loss in this game, but I'm actually glad you get to see some of those crazy things the game does to me at time to time - like Hainsey's missed puck and the bounces in that last goal.​

21. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

1:30, head down and.. thats why Lindros' career never looked like it should.. ;p

22. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

I don't remember what it really is, but knowing EA it's propably groin injury or something that sent Slavin out after that. :p

23. konstantin

konstantin Minor Leaguer

Perkele!

Mizu likes this.
  24. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

25. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Wolverines (and Checkers) regular season stats are now added to the spreadsheet.

26. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

For Game 4 the Wolverines got some good news as Di Giuseppe and Nash were back in lineup (Donskoi & Beck scratched), although Burakovski who was hurt in the previous game was playing with a leg injury. Meanwhile the Capitals also got Oshie back in to their lineup and 1st line.

27. cinnamon

cinnamon M.V.P.

Congrats ;)

28. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Hey no jinxing. :p There's still games left in the series, and it feels it could go in either way.

cinnamon likes this.
  29. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

Try to imagine in next games it's Seals with me against you and it should help you play at 120%.. :lol:

30. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

It's like in Fifa, 3-5 nice ones and rest is just.. ;p

31. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Even better if I imagine them all wearing #90. :lol:

32. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

Yeah, some of those looks... well, how often you see someone making snow angels on ice? :p

33. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

Exactly.. or that one at 2:44 wtf? ;p

34. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

:dumbass:

35. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

That did not go well, at all. A loss and... Well, Ward left the game after that last Caps goal, so surprize as he sucked in this one - on a positive side for that, at least Subban got some PO experience. Who else left? Yeah, that early part of the 2nd was dramatic. Not only did Oshie score that goal, but Murphy broke his nose in that center ice hit - not a head shot??? Then a moment later Nestrasil received a concussion while scoring his goal. Both are now on IR for indisclosed time, and since Slavin is there too, I'm "forced" to dress Hainsey again - after all he is still better than Fleury at the moment. It's a must win now - twice.

36. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

You need to improve the D. :toothless: G6 is a must win, if you give them so much free space to shoot again it can be over after 6!

Goooo, don't be like Wizz, losing in 6 in the 1st round was always his trademark. :lol:

37. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

It's that 1st line that is causing me most of the problems. Especially that #8 can turn into god mode where he gets too slippery to be checked (see that 2nd goal of that game). :(

38. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

...and actually their 3rd goal too where he managed to move the puck to Oshie just when being hit to the boards.

I don't even want to mention some of the bounces that seems to happen at time to time

39. cinnamon

cinnamon M.V.P.

Sometimes I'm glad that I prefer manager games that usually don't have a visual engine :lol:

40. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

WOHA! Game 7 ahead. :hamster:
    Heading into that Washington still have Winnik out (concussion) for about a week. Hartford's IR list is longer. Slavin (concussion) will be out for 3 more weeks, Nestrasil (concussion too) and Murphy (broken nose) are both listed to be away for a week or so. Newest addition to that list is now Lindholm who will be on IR for 2 weeks due to bruised ribs - that hurts the most as he's Wolverines 3rd highest rated forward.

cinnamon likes this.
  41. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

Good work in OT! =D

..you really should try some '99 Hatcher-Matvichuk defense in G7. Cool mind, great anticipation, perfect positioning and safe poke-checking.. it should help when CPU team is in EA's god mode in crucial moments. I always play like that in EA hockey games and it works almost everytime.. and if I'm too aggressive and hit a lot then players like Alex always score easy goals on me.

42. cinnamon

cinnamon M.V.P.

Good job in G6, Miika!

43. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

But the risk is that then it will be one of those 1-0 loss games where CPU scores that one with a deflection or some juicy open net rebound.

44. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

..but it looks like you have no problem with scoring goals, it's just the D. Look at G2 video (1:38), that was typical wizz-defense, the fans will kill you if you do it again in G7. :lol:

45. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

It was that stupid Hainsey trying to just simply clear the puck on PK. :bah:

And sure scoring can turn to problem. There was streaks during the season when I was scoring just one goal in 3-4 games - thanks to playing with lesser killer instics and CPU goalies being in god mode.

46. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

It all ends here, in a way or another - Game 7

That didn't go well, at all. I tried a mix of aggressiveness and patience, but... First of all that flying Ovechkin, unstoppable at times. It all felt okay again once came back to 2-2, but then that Oshie's GWG - it was not only a back breaker, but also a heart breaker. Absolutely brilliant move from Ward to push the puck over the line. :nono: Zaitsev and Faulk were both injured, but kept playing. Faulk would have been ready to go for Round too with groion injury, but Zaitsev would have been out for a few weeks with a knee injury.

Well, must move on and look to the future. On paper and in plans it looks brighter, hopefully that's true too. Plenty of spreadsheet work ahead again. I will update the Playoffs Tree sheet on the fly once I have an evening with enough time to go thru the playoffs simming and entry draft on one sit (will need to type down the retirees in middle of that too). Then offseason "fun" and preseason... and once again a whole lot typing when putting together next season rosters.

I'll let you know who won the Cup.

BTW, meanwhile the AHL regular season champions Charlotte Checkers are surprizingly 1-3 down in their 1st round series. May have to see if there's some guys I could send down to potentially help them. :p

47. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

buu :(
    Cam Ward.... he beat Hainsey from G2 with this.. I wouldn't even try to trade him after what he did, just gtfo on FA right now. :lol: Good luck in new season. If there are some sick rivalry RS games just post videos too!

btw use new RS to practice positioning/poke checking/blocking shots.. I can tell you have something from Wizz when it comes to playing D. He was always focused too much on a player with puck and was too aggressive against skilled players and I can see that in your play too, you just not doing it as often az Wizz, but there is room to improve your defensive game in new season. :link:

48. cinnamon

cinnamon M.V.P.

49. Mizu

Mizu Veteran

@Phil09 how are you supposed to defend against Superchkin when he's making moves like that? Sure I admit I made a mistake in first goal when tried to check him while he was coming to forepost, but then that backhand move :dead: ...and later that jump and pass in Oshie goal :eek:

50. Phil09

Phil09 Minor Leaguer

True, not all can be stopped, but look at play before Ward's own goal in G7 (3:33), whole defense was late with positioning and you didn't close Backstrom's passing line in time + other defenseman was just watching Oshie when he grabbed rebound after 1st shot.. and then Ward decided to help Caps. :toothless: