Puck Theory ~MIX EXCHANGE 2017~

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by i-ram-man-bum79, Nov 28, 2017.

1. owa

owa Also a Prestige Member Puck Theory Writer BESLPA Rep

K send it now

2. Tyler.

Tyler. I love Wendel Clark

sent

owa likes this.
  3. Waldick

Waldick Puck Theory Admin Staff Member

I've got the list of songs, I'll put the links together as soon as I get home. <30 mins.

4. Waldick

Waldick Puck Theory Admin Staff Member

i've done it

5. i-ram-man-bum79

i-ram-man-bum79 @Uram

6. dumpandChase

dumpandChase M.V.P.

Golden Summits! go!

7. ClemenZO

ClemenZO Rookie

yeah, in a couple of hours at a max pls
    timezones, you know
    and ive heard somewhere about two weeks :p

8. i-ram-man-bum79

i-ram-man-bum79 @Uram

that was two weeks to do your review pizdets.

9. ClemenZO

ClemenZO Rookie

Blya

10. dumpandChase

dumpandChase M.V.P.

Sarin is going to have the best playlist, he got extra time to sort his out. Unfair

11. Tyler.

1. Carly Rae Jepsen - First Time

Solid pop tune. More people need to listen to this (and actual emotion) album, CRJ is pretty solid post CMM. I don't really like the hook on this particular song though, check out "Roses" on this album. 7/10

2 Hellogoodbye - (Everything Is) Debatable

People still listen to Hellogoodbye in 2017? This is news to me. That said, another solid fill in pop tune that is easy to listen to. 6/10

3. David Vertesi - Loud Talker

Oh Man. This is haunting and good. I am here for this song, get this man some more views. 7/10

4. Chuck Inglish -LEGS ft Chromeo

I love me some Chromeo, but this other guy makes me want to kill myself, if you got rid of Chuck and just added more Chromeo, it could work better. Until that happens, don't listen to this. 3/10

5. Lido - Not Enough ft THEY

oo, I like this one. The hook is very good, and I have time for that. 6.5/10

6. KYLE - Doubt It

Damn boi. This man sounds like Chance, yes please. This is my type of rap, chill and happy as fuck. Dear rap, we need more happy tunes. 8/10

7. Gorillaz - Andromeda ft DRAM

This album is so great, and so is this song. We all knew that though. Gorillaz forever. 8/10

8. HONNE & Izzy Bizu - Someone That Loves You

Welcome to my play over and over list you two. 10/10

9. Gallant - Weight In Gold

Another great song, this experience has gone well, thank you. This dudes voice is lit, and once again we have a good hook. 9/10

10. Flume - Say it ft Tove Lo

Tove Lo is one of my favourite artists, go listen to her new album, it's great. Obviously this song was huge for a reason, it's great. 9/10

Overall this was solid, thanks for that, I've had much much much worse in the past and it sucks when that happens. I've def added some tunes to my arsenal.

Overall score - 8.5/10

hmmmm, not really sure who this could be, but if I had to guess.. I would go @borg

12. dkp

dkp Citadels Staff Member BESLPA Rep

1. Caribou - "Odessa"

Interesting. Has a good beat, a catchy hook, but it gets kind of repetitive, but still a good opener. Still a decent cut with some nice fills. I'm pretty sure I've heard this before, because it sounds familiar. The lyrics leave something to be desired. 2.5/5

2. Tubeway Army - "Are 'Friends' Electric"

I knew it was Gary Numan the second the vocals started, but also because of those synths. Catchy beat. Most of his songs sound the same to me, but this one was okay. 2.5/5

3. The War on Drugs - "Strangest Thing"

Love this one. Everything is superb -- production, lyrics, singing. I came into this hoping to find new artists, and I may have found one I want to check out more. Sounds like something off George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass," but if it was recorded in 2017. 5/5

4. Destroyer - "The Sublimation Hour"

There's something so beautifully glam about this, I feel a Mott the Hoople vibe. Another band I'm definitely going to check out (and a Canadian band, neat). 5/5

5. Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - "Over Everything"

I like Kurt Vile from what I've heard from him, and I love the interplay between Vile and Barnett. Decent song, with a great drum sound, and some bluesy guitars in the background. 3/5

6. Wolf Parade - "Valley Boy"

So I'm pretty sure this got added in accidentally, because it was in the same line of text as the previous song. And I'm happy it was, because what a start! It's like a fusion of "Child of the Moon" by the Stones and Bowie. Great lead guitar. 4/5

7. Talking Heads - "The Great Curve"

I just got a bongo, so I like this. Talking Heads are always solid. If it were a bit shorter and less repetitive, I might like it better. 3/5

8. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - "If We Were Vampires"

Another artist I may want to check out. Beautiful harmonies and lyrics, such a beautiful melancholy feeling. 4/5

9. Jay Som - "The Bus Song"

The lyrics are alright, but I could listen to the backing band all day. Just a tight band. 3.5/5

10. Father John Misty - "Pure Comedy"

I've never got into Father John Misty, but I will after hearing this. Great start, and it evolves into something so poigant, building and building musically adding more layers to it. 5/5

11. Nathaniel Rateliff - "S.O.B."

Such a change of scenery from the last track. Wasn't sure about the beginning, but I love what it turned into. So much soul in the vocals. 3.5/5

12. Leonard Cohen - "Is This What You Wanted"

Turns out what happened with Track 6 wasn't a fluke, because it happened again, but once again with a good song. One of my favourite Leonard Cohen songs, and the only one I've heard before in this playlist. Great way to end it, love the difference between the slow verses and upbeat chorus. 3.5/5

Overall score: 4/5

There wasn't a song I outright hated, some average songs, but for the most part some great finds. At least four groups/acts are ones i'm going to check out after. I'm thinking this is DevilsFan, based on the inclusion of Kurt Vile.

13. Julz

Julz B̴̶̷̀r̷o̵̶̷̧k̢e̛͢͏͜n̴̵̢̨͜ Staff Member

dkp likes this.
  14. i-ram-man-bum79

i-ram-man-bum79 @Uram

my review is done through live blog

1. "Birds of Fire" - Mahavishnu Orchestra
    CYMBAL CYMBAL CYMBAL CYMBAL. hello am i in the 1960s. does this person like psychadelics? have you done acid? i have done acid. i had a fun time. theres the guitar. i feel like this would be a song for guitar hero. are there going to be words? (pause 2 mins) no words. this is not music for me if i am honest, im sorry 3/10

2. "Summer's Cauldron" - XTC
    this is a typo. it is actually summer cauldron. bird noise! when i hear this song i feel quite ephemeral. i dont know the situation in which i would listen to this but i get a sense of deja vu when i hear it. i feel that it would have been in the soundtrack of this is england when they were filming the sunrises or whatever. i recommend watching this is england, both the film and the tv series which came after. i quite like this 6/10

3. "Low Key" - Tweedy
    the official music video has a skit. automatic dislike. is this weezer? this might be weezer? are they canadian? the guys in this band look like my dad. all of them. 4/10

4. "Catharine of Aragon" - Rick Wakeman

[​IMG]
    this image says more about this song than i ever could 3/10

5. "Adolescence" - The Murlocs
    this song also reminds me of a place or time that i have been before my life. maybe a feeling, maybe it was about a girl. one of those girls that comes into your life for fleeting moments, you share some intensity. yes thats it, i feel like i am in prague with katka when i hear this song. all i need now is some mdma and a bath. this song is definitely acceptable. i always like a song with an interesting vocal 7/10

6. "Elvis' Flaming Star" - Pond
    50%, we are 50% through this tale of fun times. oh, this intro sounds like a fun time. CUT LOOSE, CUT LOOSE, FOOTLOOSE. thats how i feel about the opening riff. solid. solid but unspectacular 5/10

7. "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama" - Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
    frank zappa is one of those famous people that i have never listened to. he was massive in the czech republic. as ive already mentioned, this is all music that often takes me back there. i feel that you would like it there mr mix man because your music tastes fits with them. you need a mullet though as they love mullets there. this feels like a song that if i heard it in a bar with a dance floor that i would dance and act like i knew the words,. HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT INSTRUMENT IN THE MIDDLE. its like a recorder but not. okay this got interesting. enjoyable 6/10

8. "Shuggie" - Foxygen
    there is a very specific genre that this whole mix is based around. respect. you like your genre. i really dont have anything to say about this song. maybe i have run out of energy, maybe this is a very difficult thing to do to write immediately down my thoughts. maybe im dying. im going to go for a cigarette 4/10

9. "Bundles" - Soft Machine
    i searched this on youtube and the only option was a 45 minute album. are you trying to kill me? i eventually found this on spotify. nice drums and nice bar music i feel, like a 1920s style speakeasy where i can get a proper sazerac. a sazerac is the best cocktail in the world. i recommend that you drink them. the build up towards the end of the song is kind of nice. what are we going towards? tell me mr guitar man! yes yes yes where are we going?!!?!!??!?! and then because i had shuffle on it disappeared into nothing. sorry but i am not listening to 45 minutes of music. 4/10

10. "Grass" - XTC
    i hate how this guy says fire. and desire. no no no no. the vocals on this are a no from me. 2/10

SO. IN SUM. i know whose mix this is because i am the mix man. i respect you for having a type of music that you like but im afraid its not for me. it was a interesting listen once, but my tastes are a little different. i just dont really listen to much gutiar music any more apart from emo music because i am an emo. musically i respect the Content(TM) of much that this has to offer, my taste is just not as musically inclined as yours. as i said. go to the czech republic. you will find like minded people there

that is the end of my mix review

dkp and Tyler. like this.
  15. dumpandChase

dumpandChase M.V.P.

1. Colter Wall - Caroline 4/8
    Doesn't seem to be very popular but sounds like he's been around for centuries. Maybe one day I'll crack a beer to this, has a good melody.

2. Wild Rivers - Mayday 3/8
    Clicked the lyric version, had to sing along. Definitely starts to sound better whenever they sing together.

3. Wrabel - 11 Blocks 3/8
    Honestly feel bad for him, not sure if it's video magic or real. It's been 3 years and he still cant forget.

4. Quinn XCII - Flare Guns 5/8
    Tune.

5. Timeflies - Raincoat (Acoustic) 6/8
    I can feel it in my body! If he isn't popular now he's going to be.

6. Lewis Capaldi - Bruises 2/8
    Deep. You can definitely feel the emotion in this one, damn.

7. Jonnyswim - You and I 1/8
    Don't really like this one.

8. Karmin - Along The Road 0/8
    Sorry had to skip.

9. Luna Shadows - Waves 5/8
    Another tune. Not sure if I like the vocals but the beat is nice.

10. FLETCHER - Avalanche 5/8
    Beautiful! Hello Fletcher :) she's definitely got a voice.

I have no idea who made this list but If I had to make a guess it would be @Julz

Think I'm going to start an acoustic career singing old hockey tunes, that Timeflies song was my favorite, instant volume up

3.4/8

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:01 PM
  16. Tyler.

Can we go back in time to a time where Pittman doesn't take part?

Go listen to Macklemore again.

(Damn you rabdomizer)

dkp likes this.
  17. dumpandChase

dumpandChase M.V.P.

18. i-ram-man-bum79

i-ram-man-bum79 @Uram

19. DevilsFan

DevilsFan Puck Theory Admin Staff Member

1. Bring Me The Horizon - Avalanche - 5/10
    Pretty generic sounding pop-metal/emo/whatever type song that was very popular for a few years in the mid-2000s or so. Mediocre, I don't love or hate it.

2. John Butler - Ocean - 6/10
    Decent slow building guitar track, but at 12 minutes long it doesn't really justify its length. Some pretty good parts in it, but generally lacks any kind of consistent rhythm and direction and just meanders around for long stretches.

3. The Doppelgangaz - 1/10
    Not a rap fan, so I'll say that up front, but this song isn't even catchy. It goes nowhere, the rapping is in almost monotone, and the beat is bad.

4. Stann Smith - The Hare and The Tortoise - 4/10
    Decent beat, he does decent when in the rap parts, but I don't care much for his singing parts.

5. Mally Stakz - Save Me - 2/10
    This is becoming a theme, but this is another song that goes nowhere. Same quiet piano tune in the background for the whole song, with pretty repetitive lyrics and the same rhythm to his singing in every verse.

6. Phora - Numb - 1/10
    His voice cracked a ton while attempting to rap, I actually laughed a couple times. Not much of a beat, and the song just meanders for 3 minutes.

7. Taking Back Sunday - Better Homes and Gardens - 6/10
    Similar comments to #1, pretty generic sounding. I like the chorus on this one better than #1 though, and it's a catchier song.

8. Never Blink - Young Gully ft. people - 3/10
    The woman's voice who was part of the beat actually annoyed me, sounded like whining. The beat was decent though, and the guy rapping was keeping a good rhythm with it.

9. Dizzy Wright - Legendary - 2/10
    Another not catchy, monotone rap song.

10. DUBB - Only Human - 5/10
    Probably the best rap song on this list. Guy sounded good in both the rap parts and when he was singing, decent beat in the background. Still not a great song though.

This mix wasn't a good fit for me at all as I dislike rap, but I tried to be objective and really didn't like a lot of the songs at all. The rap songs for the most part didn't even excel at what rap is good at, which is to have a catchy beat with good rhymes.

Average rating of 3.5/10.

I'm going to guess this was @dumpandChase

dumpandChase likes this.
  20. i-ram-man-bum79

i-ram-man-bum79 @Uram

21. owa

owa Also a Prestige Member Puck Theory Writer BESLPA Rep

Thought we had two weeks?

Suolitus likes this.
  22. Suolitus

Suolitus Veteran

dumpandChase likes this.